Thursday, July 1, 2010

Going to the dreaded envelopes...

Okay, so I have known about Dave Ramsey for about 5 years now. We have been through the Financial Peace University once, but we have never fully committed to Dave's envelope system. And, when I say 'we' really mean 'me', because frugal hubby would have been down with it from the get go.

Honestly, the envelope system scares me. I start to think about being confined on a 'true budget' and my throat starts to close up. I always told hubby that I might go psycho if forced to put $50 in an envelope and be told that is all I have to work with on food all week (eating out and all.)

I am much more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of girl when it comes to money. I hate to admit it, but I can be rather selfish at times and find it hard to tell myself no. I justify my selfishness in the types of purchases I make. I will tell myself, "Well I know we have spent too much eating out this month, but it is not like we are out spending hundreds on fancy cars or expensive hobbies...so I think we can afford to splurge on that pizza tonight." But, I'm starting to realize that my justification and reasoning is getting us NOWHERE fast when it comes to Dave's baby steps to financial peace.

I'm also starting to realize that this online fantasy 'budget' I have been keeping for the past 6 years is POINTLESS! Yes, it keeps us from spending a ton of money, but honestly, it doesn't keep us from going over budget at all times, and it is nowhere close to getting us on the fast track to saving money. What good does it do to know how much you have spent on groceries if you know you aren't going to stop spending even when you reach your $500 budget cap??

So, while we haven't been going in the hole every year, we also haven't been doing absolutely everything in our power to better our future financial situation. I'm finally ready to do as Dave says, "Live like no one else, so later you can LIVE like no one else!"

I think couponing and shopping the sales is an important part to this equation, but it will only help if it is done properly. I have been couponing for the past few months now, but I have allowed 'impulsive Kari' to keep couponing from really making a positive impact on our budget. I have decided the only way couponing will ever lower or monthy spending is if I put money in an envelope and know that once the money is gone it is gone! No stopping at the ATM for extra cash...it will be time to improvise! Stick with me this month as I explore this journey into the..dare I say it...ENVELOPE SYSTEM! Oh, hubby will be on cloud 9 if this actually works!

1 comment:

  1. Very Nice and thorough article thanks for sharing please write more post like this Bass Pro Shops Black Friday Deals

    ReplyDelete